20 Signs You’re A Child Of Divorce.
1. You’ve mastered the ‘pets situation.’
Your dad doesn’t like cats and your mom doesn’t like dogs? NO PROBLEM! Plan it well enough and you can have the best of both worlds in two different families.
2. You’re familiar with the term ‘Double Christmas.’
Two families = Two times the presents.
3. And ‘Double Birthdays’ too!
Deep down you know it’s materialistic. But you never find the time to care.
4. You use your parents’ divorce as an excuse.
There’s nothing better than pulling the old “I left my homework at Dad’s house” routine. No teacher in their right mind would challenge you.
5. You learn to deal with conflicts between others from a very early age.
6. Your multiple step-parents have taught you things your parents never could.
7. And your family is larger – meaning more people love you!
They have to.
8. You have a passive agreement with your step-parents that they can’t ACTUALLY discipline you.
9. And if you get tired of your step-sibling you can just LEAVE!
10. You’ve become comfortable with using this excuse:
11. You’re forced to think of your parents as an entity other than ‘Mom & Dad.’
They’re individuals who can’t be tied down to that social conformity.
12. You have bitchin’ organizational skills because you have to plan what to keep at each house.
You can’t keep your Xbox at both houses now, can you?
13. And you’ve developed a cunning sense of manipulation.
Dad won’t let you get that spacer in your ear? No problem – Just ask Mom.
Mom won’t let you go to that party? No problem – Just ask Dad.
14. You’re not sure how to refer to your step-grandparents.
Adam? Sir? Step-Pop? Step-Gammy? Step-Anything?!