20 Times That Art And Design Inspired Awe In 2013
1. Biblioteca Jose Vasconcelos in Mexico City
A massive feat of glass and concrete situated in a lush botanical garden, “the library resembles a science fiction organism.”
Read more about this structure and the construction process here.
There are three levels: a submerged underwater hotel room with windows out into the sea, a landing deck with lounge and restroom, and a roof deck. Read more about it here.
5. Chain Link Fencing as Art by Soo Sunny Park
This ephemeral art installation reflected prisms of holograms and light onto the river’s surface outside the gallery.
Invented by French designer Daniel Pouzet, these are hanging at Dedon’s island resort and outdoor living lab in Siargao, Philippines.
She is, without question, the Queen of Yarn Bombing.
8. The Museum of European and Mediterranean Civilization in Marseilles
What’s impressive about this structure designed by French architect Rudy Ricciotti is the way it’s encased in a very delicate concrete filigree.
9. Yayoi Kusama’s Mirror and LED Light Installations
Yayoi Kusama’s “Infinity Mirror Rooms” makes you feel like you are standing in an infinite space.
10. The Salina Turda Salt Mines Turned History Museum in Romania
This enormous salt mine contains such attractions as a ferris wheel, golf course, and bowling alley.
11. Amazon’s Headquarters in Seattle
Check out the plans and more photos here.
12. Someone Invented the World’s First Ever 3D-Drawing Pen
13. The Fallen 9000 at Normandy
British artists Jamie Wardley and Andy Moss etched 9,000 silhouettes in the sand to commemorate D-Day.
A temporary dwelling covered in reflective mylar intended to raise awareness of the thousands of foreclosures that drove families out of town. Read more about it here.
Check out more of his art here.
16. Rogan Brown’s Intricate Organic Paper Cutout Sculptures
Read more about them here.
17. Tomás Saraceno’s “In Orbit” Installation
See more photos of this cool interactive exhibition here.
18. Cai Guo-Qiang’s Life-Size Replica of 99 Animals Drinking from a Lake
That lake contains 170 tons of water. Read more about the artist here.
19. Kaleidoscopic Floor Installations by Suzan Drummen
20. Intricate Temari Balls Embroidered by a 92-Year-Old Grandmother
Previous Post: Michael Phelps’ Reported Girlfriend Admits She Was Born A Man
Next Post: How To Pick A Lock With Hairpins