23 Surprising Facts About “Orange Is The New Black”
1. The actress who plays Yoga Jones was the voice of Patty Mayonnaise on Doug.
2. Pablo Schreiber, who plays “Pornstache” Mendez, is Liev Schrieber’s half-brother in real life.
And also played Nick Sobotka on The Wire.
3. Laverne Cox’s (Sophia) real-life twin brother played her pre-transition in the flashback sequence in Episode 3…
6. This is Crazy Eyes in real life (actress Uzo Aduba).
She is also a Broadway actor, having been in Godspell.
7. The bartender from Episode 7 is actress Lindsay Felton, who played Caitlin in Nickelodeon’s Caitlin’s Way.
9. …who once had their closet redone and the space-saving process was documented for a magazine…
10. …and Larry really wrote a Modern Love piece in The New York Times. This is it.
11. There is an American Pie reference in the first episode of the series.
Original gifset via here.
12. Red is actress Kate Mulgrew. You may may know her as Captain Kathryn Janeway from Star Trek…
13. …and there was a Star Trek reference between her and Nicky where she didn’t know who Spock was.
14. The opening-credits music was written and performed for the show by Regina Spektor.
16. The scar we see on Nicky is a real scar from heart surgery Natasha Lyonne had in 2012.
17. Jason Biggs’ character was watching Weeds in one episode, which was created by this show’s creator Jenji Kohan…
22. Matt McGorry, who plays CO Bennet, used to be a body builder and personal trainer.
You can see plenty more of him here.