Fourth Victim Dies Following Car Crash At SXSW
Rashad Charjuan Owens, 21, plowed into a group of people outside a bar in Austin Thursday, March 13, killing four and injuring more than 20.
1. Updated — March 27, 4:30 p.m. ET
2. Two weeks following the fatal crash at South by Southwest, a fourth victim has died. The Austin Statesman is reporting that 18-year-old Deandre Tatum has succumbed to her wounds.
Breaking: A fourth person, 18-year-old Deandre Tatum, has died following the SXSW crash: http://t.co/l75l140FE9
4. Updated – March 17, 12:30 p.m. ET
5. The Austin Police Department announced Monday that a third victim — Sandy Thuy Le — died as a result Thursday’s crash outside an Austin bar. Le had been on life support since the crash.
APD is keeping the friends & family of Sandy Thuy Le, DOB 10-22-87, in our prayers. Le is the 3rd victim to die in last week's #swsxcrash.
6. Police said Thursday Rashad Charjuan Owens, 21, of Killeen, Texas, was the driver who plowed into a group of people killing three and injuring 22 others.
Laura Skelding/Austin American-Statesman
He is charged with two counts of capital murder and multiple counts of aggravated assault with a motor vehicle, Austin Police Chief Art Acevedo said. Owens is being held at the Travis County Jail on $3 million bond.
13. Acevedo said that at first the driver appeared as if he would pull over, but then he gave chase through the busy downtown area.
AP Photo/Austin American-Statesman, Jay Janner
The driver apparently weaved through the gas station, and then began driving against traffic on 9th Street, which is a one-way street.
Acevedo said when APD officers tried to overtake the vehicle, the driver then turned right to turn on to Red River Street, where the incident occurred, at a “high rate of speed.”
14. This is when the driver reportedly hit a couple on a moped, a cyclist, a taxi and a van. The driver tried to flee on foot, but was tased by police and arrested.
Red River, earlier