The One Mistake In “Gravity” That Is Truly Unforgivable
1. The blockbuster movie Gravity starring Sandra Bullock and George Clooney came out this past weekend, and while critics are raving about it, some are questioning the films scientific accuracy:
6. But all those mistakes can be forgiven. It’s Hollywood, you know? However, there is still one glaring mistake within the film…one mistake that rips this plot right open, tarnishing everything you ever knew and loved about this movie…
8. What’s the mistake? What’s the mistake that should completely take the viewer out of the filmgoing experience? What mistake could possibly ruin such a compelling tale and visual triumph?!?
10. When Sandra Bullock exits her space suit in the film, she is shown wearing boy shorts and a tank top underneath the suit. However, this is entirely inaccurate and a gross misrepresentation of space travel.
11. Instead, according to a TIME.com article, Sandra would not be looking the way she does after reentering a spacecraft.
An astronaut returning from what NASA calls extavehicular activity (EVA) would have on under her pressure suit would be what’s known as a Liquid Cooling and Ventilation Garment, a full-body, crazily complex bit of space finery that has about 300 ft. (91 m) of fashionable plastic tubing running through it.
12. And also..
She’d also be wearing an adult diaper and would be wringing with sweat.
13. You heard that right. Sandra Bullock’s character’s outfit is a dangerous misrepresentation of what preparation an astronaut actually needs to take when they are outside their spacecraft.
15. Bullock should be wearing something called a Maximum Absorption Garment, or a MAG, which is basically a space diaper. According to HowStuffWorks.com…
Each spacewalking astronaut wears a large, absorbent diaper called a Maximum Absorption Garment (MAG) to collect urine and feces while in the space suit. The astronaut disposes the MAG when the spacewalk is over and he/she gets dressed in regular work clothes.
16. Here’s a diagram of the diaper:
17. Obviously, this kind of mistake is unforgivable. People have been expressing their concern any way they can:
And honestly, if you’ve seen the movie…it’s pretty safe to say she would have shit her pants. Heck, we shit our own pants watching it!