“Yer A Wizard, Harry!” An Easy Introduction To Magick And Spells
2. Dear Reader,
We are pleased to inform you that you have magical powers and abilities.
3. No, you weren’t recently hit by gamma radiation nor have you undergone complicated surgery directed by a mad scientist. You have always been special.
4. You see, there are those that wish to keep you in the dark.
5. We sent many letters…
7. But we finally reached you and that’s what matters. We know what you’re thinking…
8. …And guess what, you’re already a practicing magician!
9. “Magick is the Science and Art of causing Change to occur in conformity with Will.”
10. “[Magick makes use] of the sephiroth and the paths, of spirits and conjurations, of gods, spheres, and planes and many other things which may or may not exist.”
11. “It is immaterial whether they exist or not. By doing certain things, certain results follow; students are most earnestly warned against attributing objective reality or philosophical validity to any of them.”
12. In other words, by employing certain methods you can augment, affect and even radically alter your personal reality as well as the world around you through magick.
13. To do this, you must first accept that there are beings, ideas, things that are very old. Things that have been around forever.
Yes, even longer than your history teacher.
14. Things like Love, Anger, Fear, Guilt, Communication, Passion, etc. We encounter and are heavily affected by these ideas all the time.
15. A magician personifies these old ideas as deities and recognizes them as outside forces. For example, if you are overcome with Love, you are possessed by a god of love like Aphrodite (Greek), Hathor (Egyptian), or Kamadeva (Hindu).
16. Does this mean these gods are real? Not necessarily.
Some believe in physical deities, others believe they are reflections of the magician’s psyche, and some believe something completely different—magick is what you make it. Regardless of what you choose to believe, by performing certain practices and rituals a magician can evoke these ancient things for advice, help, or just for the hell of it.
17. Unfortunately for you, rites involving gods, goddesses and demons are for experienced magicians who are at least in their Fifth Year. You must first hone your abilities.
18. Jumping too far ahead could yield no results and discourage you.
19. Or worse, you could summon something dangerous and be unprepared to protect yourself.
20. But don’t worry, there is one extremely powerful spell you are ready to perform.
21. You see, you have been practicing magick all your life without knowing it.
22. Anytime you create something new through writing, art or music you are engaging in magick.
23. Dancing, singing, exercise, yoga, sex—these are all magical acts.
Okay, okay this isn’t sex, but you can’t deny it’s a magical moment.
26. Dreaming is also inherently magical. The easiest way to practice magick is to take the already magical parts of your life and fill them with intention. Start with a magick journal and keep track of your results.
27. What is “intention?” To illustrate, let’s go over that powerful spell we were telling you about.
28. It’s called a Sigil and it’s one of the most pure forms of magick.
29. A Sigil is a symbol highly charged with intent. We are constantly surrounded and affected by sigils; however most people don’t recognize them as such.
34. How to Create and Charge a Sigil in 6 Steps
A sigil is a desire or intent stripped down to its bare essentials then charged with magick. A desire is magical on its own, however it is easily muddled and burdened by other thoughts such as doubt, fear and over thinking in general. A sigil cuts through the excess noise to represent the true desire or intent.
35. Step 1
Write out a desire, it can be almost anything, but try to be as specific and clear as possible and be sure it’s somewhat realistic. For example: “IT IS MY DESIRE TO WIN THE QUIDDITCH CUP”
36. Step 2
Cross out any vowels and repeated consonants. Circle the consonants that only appear once.
37. Step 3
Create a symbol with the leftover consonants. Manipulate the letters as you please, the more removed the symbol is from the original desire or intent the better.
38. Step 4
Disassociate the sigil from the original desire or intent. Push the desire as far out of your mind as possible and view the sigil as a new and singular entity in and of itself. Perhaps let the sigil sit for a few days until you have forgotten what it represents. Now to charge the symbol with magick.
39. Step 5
To access and use magick, you must banish all other thoughts from your brain and achieve a zen-like trance in which the sigil occupies your every thought. This takes an incredible amount of self-control and focus and is usually only attainable after much time and effort; luckily, the human body has built in methods that can be used to cause “no-mind states” and charge sigils.
40. Writer and magician Grant Morrison suggests: “fasting, spinning, meditation, intense exhaustion, fear, sex, yoga, the flight or fight response…but for the eager beginner nothing beats the WANK TECHNIQUE.”
An orgasm is an incredibly magical phenomenon. As Morrison puts it, “At the white-hot instant of orgasm, consciousness blinks. Into this blink, this abyssal crack in perception, a sigil can be launched…You must see the image of your chosen sigil blazing before the eyes of your mind and project it outwards into the ethereal mediaspheres and logoverses where desires swarm and condense into flesh.”
41. Step 6: Reap the Benefits
After the sigil is charged and sent into the ether (we won’t ask how), RESULTS WILL FOLLOW. Sigils always work. They may not work precisely how you intended, however changes will occur after the sigil has been charged. It is common to dispose of sigils by fire, water or simply releasing them into the wind. Some keep their sigils as reminders. It is your choice.
42. We hope this has been an informative introduction to magick! Remember, the magician’s journey is like a Patronus in that it is completely your own.
Each witch or wizard has their own views and beliefs as to what magick is and how it affects one’s life. It is encouraged to pick and choose the aspects that interest you and even invent your own personal brand of magick. Instead of Athena (Greek goddess of Wisdom), you can summon Dumbledore or Lupin for a chat about life. Anything is possible.
44. Self discovery and self improvement are the core tenets of magick. Do some research! There are many blogs, forums and magick communities accessible online. Check out the “Occult” section of your library.
Don’t worry, there is no Restricted Section.
45. Lastly and perhaps most importantly, be ready to laugh and have fun.
Like every facet of life, magick works best if you view it with a grain of salt. Even after a night of hanging out with Ganesh, you still need to do the dishes, go to work and interact with “normal” people without freaking them out. Laughter is your most useful tool in both success and failure.
46. Magick does not require blind faith or even complete certainty, only a desire to explore the unknown in order to enrich your personal world. Congratulations, you are a magician!